Enough for 50
50-60 minutes baking time
Makes 2 Kebele trays
21 large, very ripe bananas (those spotty ones are just the job)
420g/14oz vegan margarine, eg Pure, Vitalite, Suma
700g/generous 21oz soft brown sugar
1750g/ 4 lbs self-raising flour (half wholemeal SR and white SR is good, but all-white works too)
7 teaspoons baking powder
7 teaspoons vanilla essence (not flavouring if possible)
525ml soya milk or other non-dairy milk
500g chopped dates or other chopped fruit of your choice.
Optional: 500g chopped walnuts/pecans/brazils – or sunflower seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4 and grease 2 large Kebele trays.
2. In a large bowl, mash the bananas in a bowl with a fork or potato masher. Add the margarine and cream together well.
3. Add the sugar and mix in well.
4. Sieve the flour and baking powder, then add the banana mixture and stir well.
5. To this, add the soya milk and vanilla essence a little at a time, mixing in well.
6. Add dried fruit – and nuts/seeds if using.
7. Spoon batter into the loaf tin and cook for 50-60 minutes until cooked through and golden brown on the top. Test after 50 minutes, using a toothpick or sharp knife – it should come out clean if it’s ready – otherwise, put the cake back in the oven for another 5-10 minutes.
8. Leave to cool in the tins.